October 1, 2008

Fudgy Frosted Brownies

Last month Robert Steinberg passed on after a long battle with lymphatic cancer. I post this entry in his honor and with many thanks for changing the way many of us see American made chocolate. -KG

We *love* brownies. I mean like make them once a week, we love them so much. I have baked many brownies in my time but this is our favorite of all the recipes we've tried. I started making it when I was given a cookbook for Christmas almost 2 years ago and I've not made another brownie since. It's *that* good. The book I'm talking about is "The Essence of Chocolate: Recipes for Baking and Cooking with Fine Chocolate" by John Scharffenberger and Robert Steinberg.



John Scharffenberger and Robert Steinberg started Scharffen Berger Chocolate Maker, an American chocolate company based out of Berkeley, California. So you can see why this cookbook would be an excellent place to find a great brownie recipe. Scharffen Berger has been my favorite American chocolate for a long time now and is the one I use most often for cooking and baking.



Ingredients
6 Tbsp. (3 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for the pan
8 oz. 70-percent bittersweet chocolate
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
2 large eggs
1/3 cup all-purpose flour

Method
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees.

2. Cut an 8-by-16-inch piece of parchment paper. Lightly butter an 8-by-8-by-2-inch pan and line it with the parchment, allowing it to extend evenly over the opposite sides. Butter the parchment, including the paper on the sides of the pan.

3. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water and stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.

4. With a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon, beat the sugar and salt into the chocolate mixture. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour and mix vigorously until the batter is very glossy and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

5.Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan bottom on the counter top to level the batter. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out moist but clean.

6. Let cool in the pan on a cooling rack for 10 minutes. Remove the brownies from the pan using the parchment “handles,” and cool completely on the rack before cutting.

Frost when completely cooled if desired.

Chocolate chip frosting
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
2/3 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips

Melt butter. Stir in cocoa. Alternately add powdered sugar and milk, beating to spreading consistency. Add small amount additional milk, if needed. Stir in vanilla and chocolate chips. About 2 cups frosting.

30 comments:

  1. Holy cow, these look amazing!

    +Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look wonderful! It may sound strange, but I've never tried icing brownies before. We always eat 'em plain. I betcha I'd get no complaints about *more chocolate* though :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That frosting looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely try these. I have a go to brownie, but its not frosted! This sounds awesome and looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is raining here today! It never rains in Nevada... so, it is a good chocolate brownie day!!!
    These look fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Just the title of this post makes my mouth water... brownies are my absolute favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sweet of you to tribute these to him. They look amazing, and I bet they taste even better with the good chocolate you use. I love the chocolate chip frosting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man, this is fantastic. Big time yum! :)

    Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A wonderful tribute! I gave up a longtime love affair with Valrhona guanaja because I discovered the Scharffen Berger 70%.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm just about to eat the picture. I'm going to dream about these brownies.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great brownies! Of course you can link my blog (jersey girl cooks). Thank you so much! I will put yours on my sidebar also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Jo, I would be happy to have you link me on your site! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those are some hot looking brownies.... WOW. I would need a large glass of milk with that pan of brownies... winks

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, that frosting looks lovely! frosting on brownies sounds so... decadent!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jessie... Thanks Jessie, they were really good :)

    Tomato Lady... :) thank you!

    thehungryengineer... Ohhhh! you *need* to try them frosted... so so so good! Thanks :)

    Meg... Thanks sweetie :)

    HoneyB... :) thank you, I hope you like 'em!

    Debbie... thank you! Rain and baking works together somehow :)

    SuDoughName... :) want some? I'll bake for you!

    Reeni... Thank you so much! They were so yummy!

    Cynthia... Thank *you* :)

    Maggie... :) thanks and yes, that was my go to chocolate too until I found the SB :)

    altadenahiker... come on out to the east coast, I'll feed you :)

    Lisa... Thank you! I have linked to you... love your blog!

    HoneyB... Done sweets.. thank you!

    Zesty Cook... One big glass of milk coming up :) thank you!

    Heather... :) it is... so so good. Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. these look absolutely yummy - chocolate on chocolate. what more could a girl ask for ... :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ooh! I've been dreaming of brownies for the last few days: this would have totally satisfied the craving :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. On Friday night, I was out of town...I went to a Taste of Home cooking show...very fun.
    But my husband was invited to our friends for dinner. She had oven roasted brussel sprouts, that she saw on my blog. Too funny...as they are yours. I said to my husband (if you remember, I over cooked mine) "she probably didn't burn them tho." He said, "oh yes, she did." We laughed over that.
    But they were good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. jo... thank you! Chocolate *is* a gal best friend ;)

    Olga... :) thanks sweetie! I'd send you some if I could!

    Hugging the Coast... :) thanks!

    P&A Food Chronicles... Thanks you! :)

    Debbie... yay! I am so glad you got to go to the cooking show :) Fun stuff! The roasted brussles sprouts are good crispy!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those brownies look delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. The Food Hunter... thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  22. yuuuuuuuuuuuuuum. those look GOOD. wanna come make me some? haha. nice blog.

    happy eating.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wütende Bäckerfrau... why thank you! Nice to meet you :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. These look soooo good, I printed this recipe and am going to try these, they should take care of my chocolate craving... hopefully!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Brenda Campbell... Thank you! I hope you enjoy them as much as we did! And thanks for stopping by :P

    ReplyDelete
  26. MamaFaMi... thank you! they were amazing! Nice blog you have :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...