November 5, 2008

Smoked Mozzarella Fritters with Caesar Salad


I made this wonderful combination for a light lunch the other day and everyone adored it. A classic Caesar salad topped with smoked mozzarella fritters. I left out the croûtons that would normally go along with a Caesar salad, since I felt there was enough crunch with the fritters. However, I will include the recipe I would have used for the croûtons, should you want to make them. For a lunch meal, this salad alone with a couple of fritters was enough. If I was going to serve this for dinner, I think I would pair it with a soup and a nice hunk of crusty, buttered Italian bread. I think it would be delicious with a simple tomato soup or maybe a minestrone. Together these recipes will serve about 4. Enjoy!

Smoked Mozzarella and Ricotta Fritters
Recipe courtesy: Giada De Laurentiis

*Ingredients*
1 1/2 cups fresh whole milk ricotta
1 1/2 cups shredded smoked mozzarella
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 cups panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
3 large eggs
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
Vegetable oil, for frying
1 tablespoon fresh chopped thyme leaves

*Method*
In a small bowl combine the ricotta, smoked mozzarella, thyme, salt, and pepper. In another bowl pour the panko. In a third bowl lightly beat the eggs. Put the flour in a fourth bowl. Line a tray with parchment paper.

Scoop a 1 1/2 tablespoon ball of the cheese mixture into the flour and roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the eggs and roll to coat. Transfer the cheese ball to the panko and again roll to coat. Transfer the ball to the parchment-lined tray. Continue with the remaining cheese mixture.

Meanwhile heat 3 inches of vegetable oil in a large skillet to 350 degrees F. Fry fritters in batches, being careful not to overcrowd the pan, until golden, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper towel to drain.



Caesar Salad
Recipe courtesy:Martha Stewart.com

*Ingredients and Equipment*
For Croutons
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 8- to 10-ounce loaf rustic Italian bread, crusts removed, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
2 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

For Dressing
2 garlic cloves
4 anchovy fillets
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 large egg yolk
1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil

For Salad
2 heads romaine lettuce, inner leaves only, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces (about 12 cups)
1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shavings for garnish

*Bake Croûtons and Mix Dressing*
Step 1
Heat oven to 450 degrees. Combine the butter and olive oil in a large bowl. Add the cubes of bread, and toss until coated. Sprinkle the salt, cayenne pepper, and black pepper over the bread crumbs, and toss until evenly coated. Spread in a single layer on an 11-by-17-inch baking sheet. Bake until the croûtons are golden, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

Step 2
In a large wooden salad bowl, mash garlic, anchovy fillets, and 1/2 teaspoon salt into a paste using two forks. Use a balloon whisk to mix in 1/4 teaspoon pepper, the lemon juice, mustard, and egg yolk until smooth and combined, and then gradually whisk in the oil in a slow, steady stream, until dressing is emulsified.

Step 3
Add lettuce, cheese, and croûtons and toss to coat with the dressing

37 comments:

  1. Oh. My. God. Please send me some of those fritters. YUM!

    +Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks magnificent - smoked cheese is fantastic on it's own - this is just over the top :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is right up my alley,the fritters look fantastic! Love how you made a salad out of them. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think these kind of fritters wud be hubby's fav. Thanks for the recipe Jo. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those fritters make my mouth water! Who doesn't love fried cheese? I love the idea of pairing these with a salad, making it more meatier. Can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! Fantastic - this looks incredible.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yummy. I WANT mozzarella fritters now. **drools**

    ReplyDelete
  8. Om! all bloggers made masterpieces today, huh! :)) Thanks for letting me know this great recipe! I'm lucky today, saw my favorite dishes in all blogs to stumble!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, oh man. Mozzarella fritters? You're a madwoman! Those look awesome, I'm making them tonight if I can get my hands on some panko.

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMMMMMozzarella fritters! Oh my!
    Question for ya... Does the cheese mixture need to be really cold prior to frying? Do you suggest pooping the fritters in the freezer at all? Yours look so perfectly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Umm, I love Scamorzza and anything smoked and in this case...fried is a-ok too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This looks so delicious! i have made a fried mozzarella salad before and I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. OMG...these fritters look so good. Your pic is is making me very hungry.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yep the mozzarella fritters are way better than the crouton idea! Your picture of the fritters would make anyone forget the crouton altogether! Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm~ This looks really good. I'd love to sink my teeth into those fritters :P"

    ReplyDelete
  16. This certainly does look good. Thanks for visiting! You have a nice blog here...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello,

    We bumped into your blog and we really liked it - great recipes YUM!!! YUM!!!.
    We would like to add it to the Ptitchef.com.

    We would be delighted if you could add your blog to Petitchef so that our users can, as us,
    enjoy your recipes.

    Petitchef is a french based Cooking recipes Portal. Several hundred Blogs are already members
    and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com (more than 30 000 visitors per day)

    To add your site to the Ptitchef family you can use http://www.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to http://en.petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

    Best regards,

    octávio
    www.petitchef.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am not a big cheese lover but I absolutely appreciate the lure of fried cheese :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Those looks absolutely wonderful! They don't explode when pan fried?

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg, this looks absolutely amazing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Jessie... thanks hon! If you ever come PA way, I'll make them for you :)

    thehungryengineer... Thanks April :) They were awfully good. I could eat them again!

    HoneyB... Thank you!

    Reeni... :) it was really good... and simple! Simple is good sometimes!

    Meg... Thanks!

    Salt N Turmeric... I can believe that... my honey loved them too :)

    Peppercorn Press... It was perfect together. I hope you like it as much :)

    Timeless Gourmet... Thank you so much!

    Foong .... :) I know the feeling... I keep looking at them and wanting them again! Thanks!

    BaL... You make some awesome stuff yourself! I love your blog :) Thanks!

    Hugging the Coast... Thanks much!

    Bob... Madwoman I am :) That's me. LOL. Did you try them? How did you like em?

    averagebetty... I didn't refrigerated them before hand, as my oil was hot and I mixed them directly from the fridge. Certainly though, you could... it might help keep them in a pretty shape. I think the most important thing though really is making sure your oil is hot enough and stays that way throughout. Drop in only 3 or so of these babies at a time to keep the oil even. :)

    Peter M.... smoked and fried... two of my favorite words. :) Thanks for coming by!

    mub... Oh dear, I do hope you'll try this and let me know what you think :) Thanks!

    Lisa... Yum! Fried mozza is just so yummy :) Thanks!

    MaryBeth... thank you :D

    Nazarina A ... Yes, better than croutons indeed! Thanks for the comment :)

    Shirley Khor... I'd send you some if I could :) Thanks!

    Dharm ... thanks for stopping by! Nice to see you :)

    Laurie... thanks much! :)

    Cynthia... :) thank you for stopping!

    Red Icculus... I didn't have any trouble with them exploding at all. The biggest worry is keeping the oil hot enough, so you can only do a few at a time. Good to see you again, my friend :)

    Olga... Thanks! they were pretty darned wonderful... I could totally eat them again right now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. These sound great, there's not many things that are better than fried cheese!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Mmmmm, gorgeous! I wish someone would make this for me!

    ReplyDelete
  24. yes please! smoked mozzarella is the best, and fried smoked mozzarella?
    again, yes please!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great looking salad! Those fritters sound fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  26. ...WOW!!! It's just plain AMAZEING!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. caesar salad and fried cheese, all in one dish? could there possibly be a better combination? i don't think so.

    i can't wait to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  28. delicious looking interpretation of both salad + fritters. i've found giada's recipes to be pretty exact + approachable. nice photo too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sara.. So true! fried cheese is the best! Thanks for stopping by :)

    Holler... Thank you! I would, if I could :)

    Cate... :) Glad you liked.. thank you for coming!

    Maggie... Thanks so much! :)

    ChaosX... thank you angel :) I love you! *hugs*

    ana dane... Thanks! Nice to meet you :)

    taste memory... Thank you! Very approachable indeed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Doesn't look like it needs the croutons... Nice crust!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Alright. I admit it. I'm looking at these. AGAIN. :D

    +Jessie
    a.k.a. The Hungry Mouse

    ReplyDelete
  32. Jude... thank you :)

    Jessie... LoL :) you make me smile, silly :D

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.