August 29, 2009

Spicy 5 Bean Chili


I know it's still a bit warm out there and you're probably not thinking about chili yet... but I am! The NFL season kicks off in less than 2 weeks and all these pre-season games have me thinking about game time food! I made this delicious chili last week and my family loved it! I like to serve it with a sprinkle of shredded cheese, sour cream and Fritos Scoops corn chips on the side.

What foods make you think Autumn? Are there any dishes you like to make on game day?


Ingredients:
2 pounds ground beef chuck
1.5 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
1 teaspoon dried sage leaves
2 clove garlic, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 shallot, chopped
1 red bell pepper, seeded, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
2 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper, or to taste
Salt, to taste
1 1/2 cup burgundy wine
2 (16 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
1 can green chilies
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1 can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

Optional Additions:
Corn chips
Cheddar cheese
Sour cream

Method:
In a large, preheated dutch oven brown the ground chuck with the thyme, sage and garlic. When browned remove and drain beef. Set aside. In the same pot heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, shallot, red bell pepper and jalapeno. Saute until vegetables begin to brown, about 7 to 10 minutes. Add chili powder, cayenne pepper, chipotle pepper, salt and cook, stirring, until spices begin to stick to the pan. Add burgundy and cook until liquid is reduced by half. Add tomatoes and bring to a boil. Stir in beans, reserved beef and green chilies. Simmer, partially covered, over medium low heat for 1 hour. Top with cheddar cheese and sour cream, if desired. Serve with corn chips. Chili may be made, up to 2 days in advance and kept covered and refrigerated. Reheat to serve.

Serves 8-10

21 comments:

  1. I love chili - all year round. This looks delicious!

    I am not a watching sports person -but I love to make pumpkin and squash dishes in the fall. It is by far my favorite cooking season!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy, my kind of dish. I can already see this going down well with burritos, nachos, piled onto a hot dog with sausage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love chili even in the middle of the summer. mmmm. yours looks so good. and, oh, fritos. so good. but so bad. but yet, SO good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ohh I love chili anytime of the year, It's one of my favorite slow cooker meals

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen... thanks! :) *hugs*

    Jo... oh yum! I love those ideas! :)

    Cate... I know.. the Fritos are so not good... but one needs to splurge now and then! Thanks!

    Jessie.... Mine too! thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great recipe for chili! I like to make chili, but sometimes we'll do a hearty beef stew as well. Can't live without tons of chips and dip... and any finger food you can think of!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this chili and all of the beans!!! It's 90F + here right now and I made chili for dinner Thurs night! Love it all year long!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks & sounds super delish! I'm going to give it a try=)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, chili. I haven't made chili in forever, yours looks great. I like stroganoff in the fall, it's the best comfort food.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous chili, wish I had that for dinner tonight - seems perfect as it is our fantasy football draft!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep, I'm another person who eats chili year round. Can't get enough of the stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks fantastic! Mouth is watering right now!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Damn, girl...that looks great! Yum! Love chuck. Such good flavor. Especially for recipes like this. Yay. :D

    xo
    +Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  14. My kingdom for someone to make a can that includes more than just 1 type of bean!!

    So many great recipes that use a variety of beans, yet no single can solution!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks fantastic and I love some good chili! Can hardly believe footbal season is here. Go Spartans!

    Best, Emily @justeatfood.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's totally NOT warm here -- so, unfortunately, chili is more than appropriate. And spicy chili is always up our alley. Lookin' good!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a beautiful chili! I certainly love a lot of spice in my chili and somehow I struggled adding enough when I made chili last year...will have to try again this chili season! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Patsyk ... love beef stew! Perfection! Thanks :)

    Kim... thanks so much :)

    Judy@nofearentertaining ... we're too much a like in some ways :) Thank you!

    Luvdaylilies... thanks... enjoy! :)

    Bob ... I'm with you stoganoff is da bomb! Thanks :)

    5 Star Foodie... :) thanks!

    Hugging the Coast ... too good not to, right? Thanks!

    pearlbeachlady... aww thanks :)

    The Hungry Mouse ... thanks honey! *hugs* :)

    Emily... thank you :)

    Lo... thanks! :)

    Hillary... I love the heat and spice.. good stuff :) thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...