March 31, 2012

Nutella Crescents

My family is crazy about Nutella, so I try to find new ways to use it fairly often. This is one of the easiest recipes yet. These were sweet enough to curb a sweet tooth attack but not too sweet. I really enjoyed them with a cup of hot tea. The addition of a little cinnamon made these something really special. Our whole family really enjoyed these and I know I'll be making them again soon.

The total calories for one of these delicious treats is only about 150! (93 calories for the roll alone and 54 calories for 1.5 teaspoons of Nutella. According to the Pillsbury website, the original style canned crescent rolls are 100 calories each.) Not bad for the occasional indulgence.

I made homemade crescent roll dough using this recipe from "Home Cooking Adventure" but you could make the process even simpler by using the canned crescent roll dough from the refrigerated section at your local grocery. Of course, I think the homemade dough tastes best, but I'm not against taking a shortcut now and then.



Nutella Crescents


Ingredients:
1/2 the homemade crescent roll recipe from here: Homemade Crescent Rolls
~OR~
2 Cans Original style crescent rolls

3/4 cup Nutella
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg white, beaten

Method:
1: Preheat oven to 400F if using homemade crescent rolls. Preheat oven to 350F if using canned crescent rolls.

2: If using the homemade crescent roll recipe listed above follow steps 1 & 2 omitting the soft butter spread onto the rolled out dough. Do cut your round into 16 triangles using a knife or pizza cutter. Lay out the triangles on your work surface.

If using canned crescent dough, unroll dough, separating into 16 triangles. Lay out the triangles on your work surface.

3: Add cinnamon to the Nutella in a small bowl and stir until well combined and the Nutella is slightly softened.

4: Using a pastry brush or the back of a small spoon, coat each triangle with approximately 1.5 teaspoons of Nutella.

5: Roll each triangle into a crescent, starting with the wide end. As you roll, tuck the ends in slightly to retain the filling as they bake.

6: Place the rolls on a Silpat or parchment paper covered cookie sheet.

7: Brush each roll with egg white.

8: Bake for about 15 minutes, or until golden brown.

9: Allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.

Makes 16 crescent rolls.

Kitchen Notes:
- You could easily leave out the cinnamon if you're not a fan of cinnamon and chocolate.

- Make sure you do cover your baking sheet with something... if your crescents leak their filling at all, they will be difficult to remove.

6 comments:

  1. looks yummy! can't wait to try! thank you for sharing!

    {colby}
    http://blessthismess-colby.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Colby! They were so good... I want more!

      Delete
  2. Tattoo weekend brunch perhaps? :-D Sound delish, love the cinnamon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wondering why your recipes, comments, etc., come up white print on black back ground? When I try to make a copy of the recipe it's using up all of my black ink. Your recipes do look yummy, so I'd like to copy them for my recipe box.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm... I just tried printing from my browser and didn't have this issue. Could you tell me how you are trying to copy and print so I may investigate further?

      Delete