April 15, 2012

Hashed Brussles Sprouts with Eggs



Brussels sprouts are one of my very favorite vegetables. I love them steamed with a touch of butter, I love them roasted in the oven with olive oil, I love them used in dishes along with other vegetables or all alone. It's one of those vegetables I never get tired of and could eat every day, if the family would let me. As it is, I eat them at least 3-4 times a week.

My grandmother rarely cooked fresh veggies, opting to serve whatever canned veg she had on hand. My grandmother was an excellent cook, so I'm not sure why she didn't use fresh over canned... but I assume it had something to do with the times she grew up in. Fresh veg was expensive, unless you grew it yourself, which she didn't. Canned items were easily stored and didn't have the chance to go bad before you used them. So, I had Brussels sprouts for the first time once I was an adult and starting to cook and experiment on my own with all these fresh vegetables I'd never had. The very first time I had them they were covered in a gloppy cheese sauce and they were just awful! It put me off them for a couple years. I did finally try them again... this time simply steamed and served with a little butter and a touch of salt. And from that moment, I was in love.

Not only do they taste awesome, they are so very good for you! They are low in calories, high in fiber, and full of vitamin C. They are fairly high in protein too. Also, Brussels sprouts contain compounds known as isothiocyanates. Isothiocyanates may help prevent cancer by promoting the elimination of potential carcinogens from the body. Isothiocyanates may also reduce your risk of heart attack. All excellent reasons to listen to your mother and eat your Brussels sprouts!

This recipe is great for breakfast, lunch or a light dinner. The creamy egg yolk mixes with the hashed sprouts and is simply out of this world. The onion adds a touch of sweetness, the garlic a little punch. If you like a bit of spice... a shot of sriracha or crushed red pepper is also divine. These hashed sprouts are also great on their own without the eggs, as a great side dish!

Hashed Brussels Sprouts with Eggs
Ingredients:
1 pound fresh Brussels sprouts
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon Olive oil
2 Tablespoons butter
salt and pepper to taste

Method:
1: Wash and trim Brussels sprouts of any browned outer leaves.

2: Slice off the stem ends and discard.

3: Thinly slice each sprout, separating the leaves as you go. (think shredded texture)

4: Heat a large skillet on medium high to high heat with the olive oil and 1 Tablespoon of butter.

5: Once the butter is melted add the diced onions and minced garlic and saute until the onion is caramelized.

6: Add the shredded Brussels sprouts to the onion and garlic and allow the Brussels sprouts to cook, stirring frequently, until they are browned and tender crisp. 6-7 minutes.

7: While the Brussels sprouts are cooking, fry (in remaining tablespoon of butter) or poach 4 eggs making sure to keep the yolks runny.

8: Top the hashed Brussels sprouts with the eggs, salt and pepper to taste and enjoy immediately.

Serves 2


If you would like to try some other fabulous Brussels sprout dishes, try these:

Brussels Sprouts with Chorizo and Red Onion from Mango & Tomato

Bacon-Wrapped Brussels Sprouts from Taste As You Go

Brussel Sprouts with White Wine and Thyme from No Fear Entertaining

Spicy Brussels Sprouts from Dianne's Dishes

Sauteed Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios from Sass & Veracity

Brussels Sprouts Chips from Eat Real

Brussels Sprouts Chiffonade with Brown Butter and Toasted Pecans from Eat Real

Sauteed Lemon Brussels Sprouts with Pistachios from Restless Chipotle

17 comments:

  1. well, I clearly love this dish b/c it has ooozing yolks on top :) YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMY! Delicious! I wanna try!! Yolks are pretty in the pic <3 [:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. aww thank you honey :) I will make this just for you soon ;) I love you girl!

      Delete
  3. I also love Brussels sprouts! I want to try this as a breakfast soon... what a great way to start the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patsy! It's really so very good! :)

      Delete
  4. What a great idea! Now I can have my sprouts for breakfast, too.

    PS. Thanks for the recipe shout-out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Michelle... your recipe is divine!!

      Delete
  5. Not only does this look delicious, in your gorgeous photo, the dish looks like an owl, making me feel very wise, indeed, for wanting to cook it. (yes, I s'pose that is a Rorschach-like interpretation, but I can't help myself!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right Marge!!! I does look like an owl! Ha! Thanks for the comment! :)

      Delete
  6. Sounds very good and healthy

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking many of our grandparents had similar habits. I know waste of any kind was a huge no-no and no one could afford that. We're all over Brussels sprouts, too so I can't wait to try the egg over. They're definitely perfect for a hash. Brilliant! Thanks for including a link to one of my recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anytime Kelly :)This was so so good... if you try it let me know what you think :)

      Delete
  8. OH MY GOSH!!! I cannot wait to try this. Maybe for this Sunday morning... I might dice up some canadian bacon I have in the fridge too. I never ever tried a brussel sprout till my husband and I married 12 years ago. I love to saute them in a little butter and chicken broth or roast them with some mixed spices and parmesan cheese....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds great Lisa :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  9. thank you so much for sharing! i made these and absolutely LOVED them! will definitely be making again , a LOT! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...