April 12, 2012

Lettuce Wrapped Cumin and Feta Turkey Burgers



These turkey burgers were so good! We had them just last night and I'm craving them already again. Since I've started watching my carbohydrate intake, I don't usually eat burgers on a bun. Instead I wrap the burger and fixings in lettuce leaves. I honestly don't even miss the bun because the burger has so much flavor. The lettuce provides a satisfying crunch and the other toppings add such a punch of freshness that makes it a perfect combination. To me it would almost seem a shame to hide it inside a heavy bun. One of the wonderful things about this burger is it's lightness, the fact that it's surrounded by crisp and juicy vegetables.

I love to wrap all sorts of foods in lettuce leaves, endive, or even savoy cabbage. Tacos, salads like tuna, chicken, seafood or egg... just about anything you might make a sandwich out of could be wrapped in a leaf and eaten sans bread. I've even wrapped egg roll or spring roll filling in lettuce leaves. It tastes great, is lower calorie and lower carb. Seems like a win-win situation to me.

Cumin and Feta Turkey Burgers
Ingredients:
1 pound lean ground turkey breast
1 egg, beaten
2 Tablespoons Dijon mustard
4 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
salt and pepper to taste

Toppings:
Romaine lettuce
Sliced tomato
Sliced red onion

Method:
1. Preheat grill (you could also fry these, but I recommend grilling)

2. In a large bowl, combine turkey, egg, Dijon, feta, garlic, cumin, coriander, cayenne, breadcrumbs and salt and pepper.

3. Mix together well using a large spoon or clean hands.

4. Form in to patties.

5. Grill for approximately 5 minutes on each side until a meat thermometer inserted into the center of a patty registers 165*F.

Serve immediately with toppings and condiments of your choice.
Makes 4-5 servings.

Here are 5 more delicious recipes using ground turkey:
Stuffed Peppers with Ground Turkey from Gluten-Free Goddess

Stuffed Zucchini with Turkey Sausage from Simply Recipes

Turkey sausage meatball noodle soup from Soup Chick

Turkey Meatballs over Greens
from theKitchn

Dirty Rice With Ground Turkey from Pots & Plots

4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! And how come I'm not getting your updates on my reader??? Going to check that out right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ben.... :) glad you got it sorted out...

      Delete
  2. This sounds really good -- I'm loving the cumin in the mix. And since it's been oh, about 6 mos. since I had any kind of a burger, I'm due! We've been wrapping lettuce around all kinds of food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kelly! Lettuce wrapped (almost) anything is delicious!

      Delete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.