October 31, 2013

Caramel Crackle Brownies


Yesterday my teenage son came to me with an idea for for brownies that he wanted to try his hand at making. Like. Right. Now! And when that boy wants to get to baking, you do not get in his way. We discussed his idea and I made a couple small suggestions about execution but he made the brownies from start to finish all on his own, with the exception of actually picking up the ingredients at the store. While I was out picking up the other kids from school and shopping for the things he would need to make the recipe, he finished his school work for the day and as soon as I returned home he got to work.

These brownies are extra special in a couple of ways. Hidden inside the batter is an army of Rolo candies. They melt and get gooey and delicious. The brownies are topped off with a combination of crushed kettle cooked potato chips and a caramel sauce drizzle. The salty sweet combination is simply amazing! And while it might sound like a strange combination to some of you, I promise you will love these if you are a fan and sweet and salty desserts. The potato chips provide for  slight crispy crunch, the brownie is rich and dense, the Rolo candy and caramel drizzle provide for some sticky, finger licking goodness. It's perfectly balanced with everything I enjoy in a sweet treat and I think you'll agree.

Rolos added to batter and ready for the first baking period


He used my standard Fudgy Brownie recipe, but doubled it. I didn't happen to have parchment paper on hand so he lightly greased the baking dish only and it worked out fine.

Ingredients
12 Tbsp. (6 ounces) unsalted butter, cut into cubes, plus more for the pan
16 oz. 70-percent bittersweet chocolate
1 1/2 cups plus 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 large eggs
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
30 Rolo candies
1.5 cups crushed kettle cooked potato chips
Jar of pre-made caramel sauce for drizzling

Method
1. Position a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325* degrees.

2. Cut parchment paper large enough to over hang on your pan. Lightly butter an 9x13 inch pan and line it with the parchment, allowing it to extend evenly over the opposite sides. Butter the parchment, including the paper on the sides of the pan.

3. Place the chocolate and butter in a large heatproof bowl set over a pot of gently simmering water and stir occasionally until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat.

4. With a large rubber spatula or wooden spoon, beat the sugar and salt into the chocolate mixture. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add the flour and mix vigorously until the batter is very glossy and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and tap the pan bottom on the counter top to level the batter. Add the Rolo candies as shown in the photo above. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

6. Remove from oven after 15-20 minutes baking time and sprinkle top of brownies with crushed potato chips. Press slightly into the still unbaked surface so that the chips will adhere. 

7. Return pan to the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out moist but clean.

8. Let cool completely before drizzling the surface of the brownies with caramel sauce.

9. Cut into small bars, serve and enjoy!

Just added chips and ready to pop back into the oven

Make sure you wait until the brownies are cooled completely before adding the caramel drizzle so that it doesn't melt into the brownies and get soggy. You want that sticky sweetness on top of those lusciously salty, crunchy chips! 

Done and delicious!


I hope you will try out his creation and let us know what you think. I was one very proud Mama! I think he did an amazing job :)

want one?


4 comments:

  1. Wooooow! Is your son looking for work? Private chef? Chief Dessert Baker? :) These are incredible! Such a great idea. Nice job! I wish I had something *remotely* close to this to eat, but I don't. I guess I need to make these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elle! He really enjoyed making these :) I think baking is his thing!

      Delete
  2. I'll definitely have to try this one - my kids will love the irony of putting chips on brownies!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...