September 8, 2016

Apple Cranberry Cabbage Slaw with Poppy Seed Dressing



Now that we're officially into September, it seems like it's the time to start sharing some of my favorite Autumn recipes. There is so much amazing and delicious produce that debuts in the Fall. Pumpkins, apples, pears, parsnips, Brussels sprouts, beets! Oh so many delicious choices. And so many satisfying, healthy and hardy ways to prepare them all.



I made this slaw to go along side my pumpkin and sausage soup (recipe coming later today or tomorrow) and it was perfect! Everything about it spoke of Autumn and cooler days coming. I am so ready for Fall and hoodies and boots and candles and tea and curling up with a good book. This slaw combines sweet and crisp apples with chewy dried cranberries and crunchy almond slices in a tangy poppy seed dressing. I've used stevia to keep the sugar content on the lower side but feel free to use regular white sugar or experiment with honey, if that is what you would prefer.

Apple Cranberry Cabbage Slaw with Poppy Seed Dressing

Ingredients:
For the poppy seed dressing: 
1/4- 1/3 cup stevia (start with 1/4 cup and add more to taste)
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/8 cup orange juice
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 Tablespoon minced shallot
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup light olive oil
1 Tablespoon poppy seeds

For the slaw:
1- 14 oz bag classic cole slaw mix
1 pound Fuji or honey-crisp apples
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup sliced almonds

Method:
For the dressing: 

1:  Add stevia, apple cider vinegar, orange juice, dijon mustard, shallot, garlic, and salt to a blender and blend on high for 30 seconds.

2: With blender on high, slowly drizzle in olive oil.

3: Transfer dressing into a jar and add poppy seeds. Close tightly with a lid and shake to combine.

For the slaw:

1: Core apples (remove peel, if you like) and chop into matchstick pieces.

2: Combine slaw mix, dried cranberries, and apple matchsticks in a large bowl. Mix well.

3. Add poppy seed dressing to slaw and apple mix. Start with 1/2 the dressing and add more until it's the consistency you like.

4: Add sliced almonds just before serving.

Makes 8 servings.








3 comments:

  1. This looks like such a great salad -- I love the ingredients. A quick question: I've only ever used Stevia in iced tea and only use a half a packet since it tastes so sweet to me. I noticed the quantity you used in this recipe. How sweet is the final product? I'm clueless when it comes to cooking with alternative sweeteners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sweet, but not cloyingly so... if you find stevia to be super sweet, I would suggest tapering back to even an 1/8 of a cup and add more as you see fit. It does cover a lot of cabbage and apple though. :)

      Delete
  2. This is my favorite time of the year. I love the combination of flavors you've got going on there.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.