September 19, 2016

Banana and Granola Protein Muffins


My friend Sandy posted these lovely looking Cranberry Orange Protein Muffins using her favorite protein powder to make them a breakfast powerhouse. Since I also use the same protein powder, (thanks Sandy!) I knew I was going to have to follow her lead and come up with my own riff. In my house anything banana goes over really well, so I took her delicious recipe and added some ingredients of my own and altered the recipe to fit.


These muffins are tender, flavorful and packed with good stuff. My kids all start their day with these for breakfast and sometimes as an after-school snack to tide them over until dinner. My youngest son loves them with a smear of PB2 to make a peanut butter and banana muffin. I like them plain with a steaming cup of black coffee. My other 2 kids love them toasted in the toaster oven with a little butter or jam. No matter how you eat them, they are a perfect morning or afternoon pick me up!  I am so excited to see what other variations I can come up with!

Original recipe credit to Sandy Smith of Ink and Sugar (http://www.inkandsugar.net/). Please check out her site for great recipes and lots of info on health and fitness. And, if you're looking for a fitness and nutrition coach, give Sandy a shout. She's an incredible coach and has coaching packages to fit every need!

Banana and Granola Protein Muffins

Ingredients:

1 cup AP flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup light brown sugar
2 scoops protein powder (I use TGS Nutrition’s unflavored whey)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/4 cup coconut oil (melted)

For topping:
3/4 cup granola cereal of choice (I used Cascadian Farm Organic Oats and Honey Granola)


Method:

1: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line 12 muffin cup pan with paper liners.

2: In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flours, oats brown sugar, protein powder, baking powder, baking soda, spices, and salt.

3: In a medium mixing bowl, stir together mashed banana, eggs, almond milk, applesauce, and coconut oil. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir just until combined and dry ingredients are moistened.

4: Equally divide batter into 12 paper lined muffin cups and top each muffin with a healthy sprinkle of granola.

5: Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes, until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center emerges clean.

Let cool 10 minutes in pan and remove to cooling rack.


Makes 12 muffins



2 comments:

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.