September 1, 2016

Refreshing Cold Brew Coffee

I just love having cold brew coffee in my house. Perfect for those hot days when my friends come around. Perfect for that midafternoon pick me up. Perfect for that breakfast smoothie. Perfect for that iced coffee. 




Now it’s only recently started to trend, but it’s been around for quite a while. It is becoming a little bit more mainstream of late, with many products hitting the shelves and coffee shops. But we all know going to the coffee shop all the time is dangerous for our wallets. So it’s good to know you can make a delicious batch right in your own kitchen. It’s simple to make. I mean really simple and all you need is a few basic things that you already have in the house and some time on your hands. You see this method chooses time over heat to brew the coffee and if you like coffee like I do, then you will welcome any excuse to indulge a little more than usual.


Cold brew removes the bitterness and acidity from the coffee, which is largely caused by the hot water used in conventional brewing methods. This is what I love most about this recipe. You don’t get all that acidity you would usually get from hot coffee which means less heartburn. It’s also smooth, which allows you to really enjoy the taste. I’m sure this is most welcome news for all the heartburn sufferers out there.


Most of us have everything we need at home. Some recipes can use the Aeropress, but for this one I’m using a slower approach which gives a different flavour. If you don’t have or can’t find cheesecloth you can always use normal large coffee filters. This means some granules might get through so double up on the filters! That’s it. Easy right? What are you waiting for? Get brewing.


Serves 4

Ingredients:
- 1/3 cup of coffee granules (Dark roast if you like it stronger),

- 4 cups of water

- ice cubes

Process:
  1. Add water to a saucepan. Heat the water till it is warm, but not boiling.

  2. Pour the water from the saucepan into a large pitcher and add the coffee granules. I like my coffee strong, but less coffee can be added if you prefer a milder taste. 

  3. Cover the pitcher with plastic wrap and allow the mixture to sit at room temperature for 8-12 hours. It’s best to do it overnight.

  4. Use a few layers of cheesecloth to line a fine strainer and place it on top of a clean pitcher.  

  5. Once the coffee has steeped you need to strain the mixture into a clean pitcher. Pour the steeped coffee through the cloth-lined strainer and allow it to drain. 

  6. Serve over three or four ice cubes.

  7. Enjoy black or add any kind of creamer you desire. 

  8. You can sweeten it with a simple syrup or sweetener of your choice to taste. Enjoy! 



Author Bio:
When Mark isn’t out cross-country running, cycling or hiking over the weekends he works at MoreFlavour where they are passionate about good coffee and coffee products. Their mission is to try to help individuals and organizations discover great coffee and their preferred way of enjoying it.


Photo:


1 comment:

  1. Can I come over to have some with you? I missed visiting your blog. I promiser I'll stop by more often!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.