September 1, 2009

Peanut Butter Banana Bread


Yesterday marked the beginning of the new school year for my 3 kids, so I decided it would be nice to have something "just out of the oven" waiting for them when they returned home. There's nothing like coming home after a long day to a house that smells of something delicious. I had a few bananas that were past their prime for eating out of hand, so I knew banana bread would be just the thing. Especially with the chill that's been in the air here the past few days... it makes me think Fall and that makes me want to bake! My children *love* peanut butter and sliced banana sandwiches... so this was a natural choice for us.

The beautiful thing about this recipe is it's simplicity and variability. As long as you follow the basic recipe, you can add so many different things to make this bread your own. I like to make a "PiƱa Colada" bread using shredded coconut and crushed pineapple (measurements below) instead of the peanut butter. Just be sure to use butter or margarine in place of the peanut butter when making another version or your bread will be too dry.

I hope you'll try this easy recipe and jazz it up in your own way for your family... they'll love you for it! Enjoy!

Ingredients:
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
3/4 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour

Method:
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Mash bananas in a large mixing bowl with a fork until fairly smooth. Add in the peanut butter, sugar, egg, and vanilla and combine well. Add in the cinnamon, baking soda and salt and mix again. Lastly add the flour, mix well. Pour the mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for about 1 hour. When a toothpick inserted into the center of the bread comes out clean, the bread is done. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and serve! Makes one loaf.

Kitchen Notes:
If you don't like peanut butter, you can make this into a more traditional banana bread by substituting 1/3 cup melted butter, margarine or applesauce (keeps the bread moist without the added fat) for the PB.

Variations my family likes:
1/2 cup of shredded coconut.
3/4 cup well drained and squeezed canned crushed pineapple.
3/4 cup chopped nuts (we like walnuts).
3/4 cup mini chocolate chips.
3/4 cup raisins.

33 comments:

  1. PB and banana are a match made in heaven! I love how versatile this one is. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks delicious! Do you think a part of the white flour could be replaced with whole wheat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're an awesome mom. :) That is the best, coming home to fresh baked goods. I bet the bread is fantastic, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a great banana bread! Why have I never tried a banana bread with peanut butter? Delicious combo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! This banana bread with the golden crowned top looks amazing. I bet the peanut butter makes the whole bread even more delicious.

    Definitely try the recipe next time.

    Angie's Recipes

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this banana bread! lucky kiddos coming home to such a sweet smelling house!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm always baking different versions of banana bread for my oldest son. He loves taking it in his lunchbox during the school year. Your kids must love coming home to something home-baked!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love peanut butter + banana together! Looks super moist and delicious. :D

    +Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I loveeee banana bread and I love the idea of having peanut butter banana bread sandwiches, talk about yummmm!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I adore PB and banana bread...together, an explosion of flavors.
    I'd like to have it for breakfast :)

    Cheers!

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  11. great cake and what a lovely mum you are

    ReplyDelete
  12. sorry, don't love bananas especially in desserts, but your bread looks picture perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Jo I just love the idea of peanut butter and bananas! What a great idea. I have a few bananas that are now earmarked for this. I just made banana blueberry bread last week. Why stop when you're on a role?

    Thanks! Emily (justeatfood)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the one with coconut! Banana bread is good any time of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Peanut butter and banana is such a classic combo. Bet this bread is amazing. Peef would totally demand that you add chocolate chips!

    I'm also a sucker for a recipe that has such amazing versatility. I could see this being awesome with a bit of pineapple & coconut (good call)... maybe soaked in a bit of rum??

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like my banana bread with chocolate but peanut butter sounds awesome too! Yum, try these chocolate banana bread cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I can't imagine anything yummier! This sounds great and who doesn't love peanut butter and bananas together?

    ReplyDelete
  18. This sounds like a winner. I bet PB banana pancakes would be good too...I might have to try to invent that :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. ooooh yum. I'm definitely make this for the girls! But I think I'm substitute almond butter, so I can have a bite too ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love banana bread - it was the subject of a recent "Wordless Wednesday" post on my blog - but I couldn't have imagined improving on a traditional recipe! Nice to know that it CAN be done.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Had bookmarked this page to bake on my girls' first day of school (next week)...tonight they are having "one last sleepover" with their friends and wanted to bake...so, we made the Peanut Butter Banana Bread tonight.
    The girls did the baking as I supervised, then they disappeared upstairs. Pretty soon (as the aroma filled the house) they were all asking when it would be ready...only a few crumbs left---they loved it!
    Hmmm...now I will have to think of something else to bake on the first day of school.
    We will definitely make this again and try some of your adaptations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a clever match. Peanut butter and banana. I have to try this. I have a feeling I would enjoy it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love the flavors here! Perfection!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Elle.. thank you so much :)

    sarah walsh... yes I do very much think you could use WW flour :) thanks for stopping by!

    Bob.. aww thanks honey :) *hugs*

    lisaiscooking... it's so so good :) thank you!

    Angie's Recipes ... thanks! :)

    Judy@nofearentertaining ... *hugs* thank you Sunshine!

    Patsyk... :) I'll bet you have some amazing ideas in your arsenal :) thanks!

    The Hungry Mouse... Thank hon! *hugs*

    Jessie.. :0) thank you!

    Gera @ SweetsFoods...great toasted for brekkie! Thanks :)

    Chow and Chatter.... thank you!

    Olga... thanks angel :) *hug*

    Emily... blueberry banana sounds wonderful! Thanks!

    Maya... that's my fav too :) thank you!

    Lo... mmm rum! Yummy idea :) thanks!

    Hillary... thanks!

    Mixing Bowl Mama ... thank you so much :)

    maris... yummy! nice ides :)

    Elisa, The Unlikely Housewife ... almond butter sounds delish! :) thanks babe :)

    Sal ... thanks :)

    Table Talk... yay! so glad you and the kids loved it... makes me happy to hear :) thank you!

    comfycook... its so so good! thank you :)

    Bridgett... :0) thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Mmmm banana bread....with peanut butter.Even better! I want to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Nila Rosa... thank you! I hope you love it as much as we do!

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a great idea adding peanut butter to banana bread. I can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  28. The Food Hunter... thank you! I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I like the idea of banana and peanut butter bread I must try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. its so yummy! :) I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  30. is there a way to cut some of the sugar out of it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could just half the sugar if you wanted... I am sure it would still be excellent.

      Delete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.