December 1, 2008

Easy Orange Pinapple Cranberry Relish


This is my Grandmother's recipe... passed down for as long as she was cooking to all the cooks in our family. If you married into our family, you learned to make *this* cranberry sauce. You had to, since it's truly the only kind anyone in my family will eat. It's very tasty... delicious even, but I think the thing that makes this a family staple even more so is the tradition that surrounds it. This was Grandma's recipe and now that she's passed on, it's our way to honor and remember her. There are several of her recipes floating around my family like this, and no one in the family seems to stray from her standards on these few things. I rather like that fact. Sure, my Grandma's recipes were often times very simple and not at all fancy, but they were always good and always seemed to please anyone who was lucky enough to sit at her table. So, once again this Thanksgiving, I forwent all the fancy ways I could have made cranberry relish. I passed up the beautiful fresh ruby red jewels at the grocery and instead went to the canned fruit aisle... and on Thanksgiving day I served this wonderful, simple, delicious relish to my family and friends with all the love in my heart that my Grandma always showed us.



*Notes*
My Grandmother *always* added in very finely chopped celery to this relish. I still sometimes do as well, but my kids really prefer it without... so when they will be eating it, I leave it out. The celery sounds like a very odd addition, I know... but it adds a very nice crunch to the relish and the celery flavor isn't even noticed.

*Ingredients*
1 Large box (6 oz) Orange Jello
1 Large can (20 oz) crushed pineapple in juice
1 Large can (16oz) whole berry Cranberry Sauce
2 stalks celery diced VERY small (optional)
2 cups boiling water

*Method*
1: Mix cranberry sauce, crushed pineapple (including the juice) and celery (if using) in a heat proof bowl. Set aside.
2: In a separate heat proof bowl, mix Jello powder and 2 cups boiling water and stir to dissolve.
3: Add Jello mixture to cranberry/pineapple/celery mixture and stir well. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
4: When you are ready to serve, stir Jello mixture well to create a saucy consistency.

15 comments:

  1. I love whole cranberry relish, but my family loves the stuff that comes whole in the can. This might be a good way to give them their fave with a new twist. They do love jello and canned pineapple.

    And you used my favorite word - "easy."

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an inventive idea and a great recipe to pass down to your family. I love adding orange to my cranberry sauce (which I made from fresh berries).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, nothing goes together quite like "Grandma" and "Jello". Looks good though, I will have to give it a try. Maybe I can talk my sister in law into it for Xmas dinner...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cranberry and orange!! Much better than the can stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's really different and easy too! What nice memories you have of your grandmother.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, this looks REALLY good. Everyone in my family loves the canned sauce, but sometimes I want to do something a little different. I adore pineapple, and I can only imagine it's a perfect compliment to the cranberry and orange flavors. I can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is classic! I married into a Swedish Lutheran family where Jello dishes like these rule. I'll share the recipe with my mother in law.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love orange jello and pineapple so i think I would love this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jo, this looks so yummy. I can already tasting it with a burger or a Sunday roast.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jo, This looks amazing. One of my fav things to eat is cranberry anything :)

    thanks for sharing
    zesty

    ReplyDelete
  11. "Sure, my Grandma's recipes were often times very simple and not at all fancy, but they were always good and always seemed to please anyone who was lucky enough to sit at her table."

    Jo, simple but great food is waaay better than fancy but tasteless food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Susan C ... They might well like this... give it a shot :) Thanks! Easy is always good ;)

    Olga... this one is surprisingly good for being so easy :) I'll bet your sauce is yummy!

    Bob ... indeed :) Grandma's love the Jello! Thanks for coming!

    Maria... Indeed :) thanks!

    Holler ... The memories are wonderful and many :) Thank you!

    haleysuzanne... Thanks hon... I hope you enjoy this one!

    Joie de vivre... Not Swedish here but Lutheran raised... English and Irish. But yes, I know what you mean. I think the Jello is a must with the Lutheran church goers :) Thank you for coming by!

    Lisa... It's really good stuff! Enjoy! And thanks!

    Jo... Thanks :) I hope you like it!

    Zesty Cook... You are always so sweet Cory, thank you :)

    Salt N Turmeric... I totally agree with you Farina :) Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for sharing your grandmas recipe. Sounds extra interesting with celery in it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing SJ! I've pinned and will share this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...