May 18, 2009

Puerto Rican Style Shredded Pork



As a child my Mother had a good friend that came from Puerto Rico. Every so often she would come and stay at our house and would make some of the most amazing meals... things she grew up eating. This pork recipe is one of hers and I've made it for years in just the way she taught me. It's delicious, tender and extremely flavorful. Usually when I make it, I make a large amount and the first time we eat it with tortillas and sour cream. The leftovers are then used in tamales, empanadas or enchiladas. I've also used this pork in sandwiches and to make a casserole with rice and beans. It's great with eggs too. Being that it's a cheaper cut of pork, it's rather economical as well. I suggest you think of this as a "make ahead" dish... the meat needs to roast for a long time and you'll need to cool it before trying to shred it. It's even better served the next day! Enjoy!



Ingredients:
8 lbs pork shoulder
10 cloves minced garlic
1 teaspoon dried oregano (double the amount if using fresh)
4 packets Sazon Goya (reserve 2 for after cooking)
1 tablespoon Goya Adobo seasoning
Freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoon olive oil

Method:
Pre-heat oven to 350* degrees.

In a small bowl, combine olive oil, garlic, oregano, 2 packets of Sazon, Adobo and pepper. Mix well and set aside.

With a sharp knife, carefully make deep slits into the pork roast. The more slits you make, the deeper the flavor will penetrate the meat. Place the roast into a deep roasting pan (depending on how fatty your shoulder is, there could be a lot of liquid rendered) Rub the roast with the oil and seasoning mixture, making sure to get plenty of the mix inside the slits.

Roast the shoulder, uncovered, in a 350* oven for approximately 6 hours. You want the meat completely tender and falling off the bone.

Remove the meat from the pan and pour the rendered liquid (once cooled) into a container and refrigerate until the fat solidifies and can be removed from the remaining liquid. Reserve de-fatted liquid.

Once the meat has cooled enough to handle, remove it from the bones and shred using two forks. Add in 2 more packets of Sazon and enough of the reserved cooking liquid to moisten well. Combine throughly. Reheat, covered. Serve.

Serves 8-12

Kitchen Notes:
The Sazon Goya and Goya Adobo can be found in most grocery stores these days, but Amazon.com also sells it as well as any Latin/Mexican grocer. Here is a photo, so you'll know what you're looking for, if you are not familiar.


28 comments:

  1. yum!!! thanks for the pictures, I've never heard of that stuff! Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great Jo. I love PR pulled pork!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great! I really should make something like this on a weekend to help with the crazy weeknights we have had lately!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pulled pork rules and that looks wicked good. I can't bring myself to use Sazon Goya, unfortunately, since it's full of MSG.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My bhusband makes pulled pork on the grill but I am bookmarking this recipe for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! This pulled pork sounds excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I looked for a recipe like this last week, but didn't find what I wanted. Now I'll go buy another pork shoulder and give this a try. Thank you for the wonderful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How adorable the pulled pork came out Jo…delicious looking!!

    Cheers!

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pulled pork of any kind is wonderful, but this looks particularly good! I love the flavors used here - it would be so versatile in recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow--that is an insane amount of Sazon! Holy cow.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious. I love pulled pork. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks wonderful, I am going to have to give that a try in the smoker....

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks like some really delicious pulled pork, I love all the flavorings youused!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Adobo pork is one of my favorites... and pulled pork is so versatile. Bet these leftovers would be great in a variety of applications... burritos, enchiladas, soft tacos...

    You're making me hungry for tostones!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We make this all the time, its called pernile....but, never ever do we use sour cream, its something of a personal choice I suppose...hubs is dominican and their food is very similar to puerto rican....but, it is delicious...had to write in about the sour cream, although it IS a good additionn, its not the norm...

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE this meal. Love everything Puerto Rican :)

    The only thing you are missing are fried sweet plantains. I have a Puerto Rican friend who makes the best plantains ever. Maybe I should pay her a visit.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks fantastic! Would be a great change from regular BBQ pulled pork. The family should love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think this flavor...the latin or Mexican flavor of food is my favorite. and I love trying new recipes and new ingredients. I'll be looking for these.
    yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. reluctantchef... it's really good :) thank you!

    Judy@nofearentertaining... so good :) *hugs* thanks!

    Patsyk... Indeed! Thanks :)

    Bob ... I know it's not the best for you... but I can't help myself :)

    Lisa... :) sounds yummy!

    5 Star Foodie ... thanks! :)

    Jan ... thanks :)

    Cottonpickinfarm... enjoy! thank you :)

    Gera @ SweetsFoods.. thank you Gera!

    Haley J.... thanks!

    Donalyn ... thank you :)

    Danny ... it is... I know... but that is how I was taught to make it. We don't eat it too too often.

    judyfoodie ... thank you!

    Jason @ Jason's BBQ Adventures... lemme know how it turns out! thanks :)

    Donna-FFW ... thank you :)

    Lo .. thanks and yes, the leftovers are the bomb!

    Plowlady... thanks.


    Olg... thanks sweetie :)

    Brenda Campbell... thanks! :)

    Debbie ... one of my faves too.. thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hmm I always see that Sazon but have no idea how to use it until now. Anything with "Azafran" in it tends to grab my attention.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That pulled pork meal looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  22. It doesn't take too long to get my attention with shredded pork. Goodness. Sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I found your blog via a Facebook referral... have you ever tried this in a crock pot or slow cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Making this now but in a pressure cooker. Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...