December 16, 2009

Magic Cookie Bars


These bars scream Christmas to me, because I've been eating them since I was a little girl. My mother made these every year as part of our holiday preparations and I continue the tradition today. For me, it's just not Christmastime with out them!


They are very sweet, gooey and rich... but incredibly addictive. I love them with a hot cup of coffee. And, you can change them to fit your preference. Nuts, no nuts. Don't like butterscotch? Use all chocolate chips... or vanilla, or white chocolate or peanut butter chips. M & M's are good in these too. I've even tried this using a chocolate cookie layer instead of graham cracker. Just crush chocolate cookies and follow the recipe as if they were grahams. Good stuff!

Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
1 (14 ounce) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
1 cup butterscotch chips
1 1/3 cups flaked coconut
1 cup chopped nuts (optional, I don't use the nuts usually)

Method:
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F (325 degrees for glass dish). Coat 13x9-inch baking pan with no-stick cooking spray.
2. Combine graham cracker crumbs and butter. Press into bottom of prepared pan. Pour sweetened condensed milk evenly over crumb mixture. Layer evenly with chocolate chips, coconut and nuts. Press down firmly with a fork.
3. Bake 25 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool. Cut into bars or diamonds. Store covered at room temperature.

Makes 36 servings (small, as these are very rich)

23 comments:

  1. Yep! A favorite in this house, too...love those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delish! Love these but your so right about them being addictive!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heh, my mom used to make something very similar! Looks awesome, I need to make them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so going to make these. I had forgotten all about them but they are a real favorite!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'll be making these this year. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So posh and delicious...yummy for the tummy!

    Cheers,

    Gera

    ReplyDelete
  7. My mom made these when I was a little girl and they are on the list of cookies I make every year. They are one of my favorites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's just not Christmas without them!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made them for the first time and they were finger-licki-sously good ! Awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks again everyone! The comments always make me smile... happy holidays to each and every one of you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hmmmm...I finally found Cinnamon Chips and I'm now wondering how these would be with a little bit of cinnamon goodness instead of the butterscotch!

    ReplyDelete
  12. mmm. I love anything made with condensed milk! I'm not a big fan of nuts either but I think hazelnuts would be great in this! Wishing you a fantastic 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the use of Graham Cracker Crumbs in this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. They look amazing!

    Happy new year!

    Happy blogoversary!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you all so much for the comments! And thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I wonder how good they would be with peanut butter chips? I'll have to try that next time I make then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've used PB chips and it's amazing! :)

      Delete
  17. We make theses every year, my mom made them to only we call the seven layer cookie. They are a hit every year. Thanks for the memories.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I learned to make these in 1971 in my freshman Home Ec. class & have loved them ever since. So simple & yummy. Back then they were called Hello Dolly's.

    ReplyDelete
  19. The nice thing about this cookie is you can customize it to your own tastes. How about some peanut butter or pepper mint chips, pecan, peanuts, or macadamia nuts? The list goes on & on.

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.