November 4, 2012

Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom and Onion Gravy


There are some meals that transport me to another time and place. This meal is one of those for me. Once a week when I was growing up, my Grandmother made this very meal for my Mom and I. I haven't made it in years... but one bite of this last night and I was taken back to my childhood! What got me started thinking about it was a recent episode of The Pioneer Woman on Food Network. I used my Grandmother's recipe but it's very similar to Ree's. So delicious! Making Salisbury steaks at home is NOTHING like those frozen TV dinners you can buy at the store. These are tender, flavorful, filling and pure comfort. I served them with these delicious Cream Cheese Mashed Potatoes and a side of buttered peas and it was the perfect meal. My kids adored it and have requested it be put into our usual rotation of meals. Another thing I love about it... it's economical and easy! Wonderful for a busy weeknight dinner or anytime.

What dish takes you back to a happy time in your childhood?

Salisbury Steaks with Mushroom and Onion Gravy

Ingredients:
For Salisbury Steaks:
  • 2 pounds ground beef (80/20 mix is best for flavor and tenderness)
  • 3/4 cup seasoned bread crumbs
  • 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 Teaspoon tomato paste
  • 2 teaspoons dry mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic. minced
  • 1/4 cup Italian flat leaf parsley, minced
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

For Mushroom and Onion Gravy:
  • 1 pound sliced mushrooms of your choice
  • 1 large yellow onion, diced
  • 1/4 cup pan drippings from Salisbury steaks
  • 2 1/4 cups beef broth
  • 2 teaspoons cornstarch
  • Salt and Pepper to taste

Method:
Salisbury Steaks:
1: Combine ground beef, bread crumbs, Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, dry mustard, garlic, parsley and salt and pepper until well mixed.

2: Form into 8 oval patties.

3: Fry over medium heat in a frying pan until cooked through and no longer pink. Remove from pan and place on a plate and cover with foil to keep the patties warm. Discard all but 1/4 cup of the pan drippings.

Mushroom and Onion Gravy:
1: In the same frying pan, saute the mushrooms and onions in the reserved pan drippings until browned and tender.

2: Make a cornstarch slurry by mixing the cornstarch with a 1/4 cup of beef broth. Set aside.

3: Add 2 cups beef broth to cooked mushrooms and onions. Heat until bubbly.

4: Add cornstarch slurry to bubbling broth a little bit at a time until it reaches your desired thickness. (you may not need the entire slurry, depending on your taste)

5: Add salt and pepper to taste.

6: Place patties into the gravy and allow to heat through.

Makes 8 servings.

2 comments:

  1. Jo, i'm making this again tonight. And I just realised you posted this on my bday last year! lol

    ReplyDelete

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...