June 5, 2016

Simple Shoyu Chicken

Simple Shoyu Chicken Thighs.

My kids found this recipe watching one of their favorite YouTube channels called "TabiEats" when they did a collaboration episode with another of their favorite YouTube channels "Ericsurf6." TabiEats has a Facebook as well as a TabiEats blog that you should totally check out if you love food and travel... these guys are amazing and so much fun to watch.



My kids became so intrigued by this recipe that we had to try making it for ourselves. I think I have made this 4 times since then. We love it... its simple to make, delicious and has just the right balance of salty, sweet, and spicy. We love it with a nice steaming bowl of short grain rice as is, but its also delicious in a sandwich.

This is the recipe as made by TabiEats and Ericsurf6 on YouTube: Easy Shoyu Chicken Recipe. Of course I had to change things a tiny bit to suit our personal tastes... but the basic method is the same. Thank you to TabiEats (and his adorable Mother) for this incredible recipe!


Chicken thighs about to become delicious.

Simple Shoyu Chicken

Ingredients:
3 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (chicken breast pieces work well too)
2 cups lower sodium soy sauce
2 cups mirin
1 thumb sized knob of fresh ginger, peeled and cut into thin coins
2 tablespoons chili garlic sauce (I used Huy Fong available in most markets)
1 teaspoon ground black pepper

Method:
1: In a large heavy bottom pot placed soy sauce, mirin, ginger, chili garlic sauce and pepper and simmer on medium heat for 5 mins.

2: Place chicken thighs into the cooking liquid in the pot and bring to a simmer. Simmer the chicken covered for 10 minutes.

3: After 10 minutes, turn off the heat and allow the chicken to sit in the cooking liquid in the covered pot for 20 minutes.

4: After 20 minutes, remove chicken from cooking liquid and serve over rice.

5: Enjoy!
Makes 8-10 portions

Kitchen notes:
~ I actually have cooked 2 batches of this chicken with the cooking liquid and found no taste difference when using the cooking liquid immediately. I wouldn't suggest storing it and reusing, but if you wanted to cook a double batch, you can using the liquid immediately.

~ Chicken breast works equally as well using this method, if you want to use it instead.

~ This dish reheats beautifully and I even think its better when made, refrigerated and reheated the next day.

~ I did not use the cooking liquid as a sauce, since it's more sodium than I like to consume, but the liquid is very delicious and I am sure it could be slightly thickened into a glaze, if you wished.

Chicken breast cooked Shoyu Style.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.