September 11, 2016

Shoyu Tamago aka Soy Sauce Eggs



I love Asian food of all kinds, so I have been trying to learn how to make some of my favorite restaurant dishes at home. It's so much more economical, and I get to eat it more often than if I were to depend on dining out all the time to have it. It's also a lot of fun to get into the kitchen and try something new with my kids.





Making shoyu tamago is a simple process and it doesn't take much other than time. The eggs need to marinate after being soft boiled and peeled but once they have hung out for a while in their soy sauce bath, they are good to go! Use them in ramen, pho, or as a delicious side for many dishes. I love them in a salad or even just as a quick snack by themselves. Let me know if you try them and how you served them.




Shoyu Tamago

Ingredients:
12 large eggs
2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 cup mirin
2 Tablespoons grated ginger
1 clove garlic, minced
2 small hot red chili peppers, minced

Method:
1: Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Carefully lower eggs into boiling water and stir gently for the first 2 minutes of boiling to distribute yolks to the center of the egg. Boil eggs for exactly 7 minutes.

2: Once eggs are done boiling, transfer to an ice bath and allow to cool to a comfortable handling temperature.

3: While eggs are cooling prepare marinade in a large ziplock bag or container that has a tight fitting cover by combining soy sauce, mirin, ginger, garlic and minced chili peppers.

4: When eggs are cool enough to handle, peel them and add the whole eggs to the marinade. Be sure the eggs are submerged completely. Seal container.

5: Place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours but for as long as 8 hours. The longer the eggs stay in the marinade, the deeper color and flavor they will have.

6: Remove from marinade. The eggs can be kept in the refrigerator for as long as 3 weeks, in a tightly sealed container.

7: Cut in half and serve. Eat cold or room temperature.


Makes 12 eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and thank you for visiting my kitchen blog. I'm always interested in hearing your ideas, suggestions, and thoughts so please feel free to speak your mind. I try my best to personally respond to all comments, so if you have a question, check back here or enable the "Subscribe by email" option when you leave your comment.